Saturday 3 March 2012

FUEGO MAYA!


So...enough of this living on a budget stuff. It's time for a REAL vacation!!





GOLF BABY!!




We decided to take a 2 day 1 night trip to the #1 golf destination in Guatemala, Fugo Maya at La Reunion. Holy cow. What a place!


 Rolling up at the joint gave us an idea of what was to come...

 Hello darling! Where have you been all my life?

The story as to how we got this idea was quite funny. Penny and I stopped at a little juice bar called Pitaya for some alcohol recovery liquids and got talking to the gringo proprietor about all sorts of stuff. Turns out he's a fledgling tour operator and he has contacts at the high end golf resort. He had me at "high end"...





Now, this isn't just any old course...it's nestled on the side of a volcano. This is the view from the first tee...notice how you can't see the green? Or the fairway? This was a definite sign of what was to come. The views were just spectacular, and the course was in great shape. Not only did you get the quite needed electric cart, but you also got a caddy to help with whatever was needed...



Not that we ever needed the help...

I'm not sure, but I think over the 2 combined days between the 2 of us we may have had 5 or 6 putts of over 60', and at least 1 of over 100'! I don't want to say this course was hard...trigonometry is hard. Quantum Mechanics is hard. Understanding women is hard. This course was HARD! God help you in figuring out what club to hit...elevation changes measuring in the hundreds of feet, uphill, downhill, sidehill lies...and just in case we wanted it, the wind was gusting in the 20-30 mph range.

On the left is the tee box for the 4th hole. On the right is the green. Notice the pin in the middle of 2 giant swells of the seriously large green. At least the shot was completely over water...




This has GOT to be the biggest green I have ever seen...

This is the 10th hole. It's about the most ridiculous golf hole I have ever seen...See if you can spot the fairway! Long hole, all uphill, and narrow. Needless to say, this did not go well. Thankfully the designers understood what malicious bastards they were being and put a drop zone down for balls hit into the trees, or Penny and I might still be there! For those who understand golf, I doubled this both days...I won't comment of Penny.





Here are a couple more examples of the elevation changes and vistas we experienced. I am not sure we can do justice to what this course was like! It ranks right up near the top of all the courses I have ever played for both beauty and difficulty.






Thankfully there were a couple of downhill holes as well! Certainly didn't seem to be as many as there were uphill...but I am sure that is just my memory playing tricks on me!

This is the 18th hole from the fairway. How can you not love this golf course?



Our (my)  favorite hole was probably the 16th hole. A downhill par 5 measuring (from the back tees to the front) 682/605/560/498. To the right is the view from the Blue tees (605). This seemed like a good enough test of my golfing skill...

I ended up birding the hole both days! 400 yard wind & roll aided drives sure help!






Penny's favorite hole was the par 3 17th. It was only because she hit her tee shot to within 3 feet and made birdie. Show off.








The package deal we got also included a night in one of the course cabanas. They were alright.




 NOW THIS IS HOW WE ROLL!!!!

Check out the view...did I mention each cabana has it's own 
PRIVATE PLUNGE POOL AND HOT TUB???



Oh yeah...that's right. Boo-Yah! *ahem* As I said, it was alright. It was a decent place to stay. The view was acceptable. The staff were quite helpful too, always courteous, and called us Mr. Andrew and Mrs. Penny the entire time we stayed there. Even when security came down and had to pull me kicking and screaming from the room when it was time to leave they were unfailingly polite. They didn't even laugh when I started crying like a baby.

All in all, a successful couple of days I think!


You know, if you like this sort of thing.


WHICH WE DO!!!!!!!!

 






No comments:

Post a Comment