Saturday 17 March 2012

Fast times at Lake Atitlan

Hello friends!

Sorry for the delay in posting, but we have been busy!

As I stated in the last post, Andrew and I definitely had some fun times at Lake Atitlan.

When we arrived it was pretty windy. Like, hold down your skirt windy. It took about 4 days to calm down (4 days where we walked, and walked, and walked, and restauranted and restauranted and restauranted. There was also some American satellite thrown in too). Once the wind eased a bit we decided to hire a boat to take us on a tour of the lake and surrounding communities. As for the size of the lake, think Lesser Slave. It's big.

The waters were nice and calm along the shoreline, so it was smooth sailing...at first.


 
It was a relaxi-taxi!


Soon enough, it got rocky.


I always think the boat is going to tip over. Never does, God willing. Andrew just loves high speed activities...or does he?

The lake is lovely, and the gringo houses around the lake are magnificent. It's definitely a million dollar view for $250,000. Deal of the day.





Finally, on our last day at the lake the wind had finally died down enough to attempt the event we wanted to do the most- PARAGLIDING!!!

It was about a 20 minute drive to the top of the mountain. All the necessary precautions were taken. 


Finally at the top! Breathtaking, isn't it?

On top of the world!

Getting geared up. Helmet crooked as always.

Me with my instructor getting ready to go!
As you can see the chute is already out so there is no need to worry about it opening (what, me worry?)

I wasn't as afraid as I thought I would have been. I highly recommend if your spouse tells you to go jump off a cliff that this is definitely the way to do it.

It was amazing.


Oh yeah, Andrew went too!

AND, he got to drive!
I probably could have driven too, but I was focused on keeping my death grip on the handles.

The wind conditions were apparently quite good because we were able to go quite high. When your instructor comments on how high you are, you believe him.

We were lucky enough to jump off the cliff, and then land down in Panajachel. We landed in the dry river bed. Apparently it will get 2-3m deep when the rain arrives. I can't imagine.

Call the ball, Penny has the ball.


The flight was about 30 minutes long and I enjoyed every bit of it. I didn't really feel that we were really high up until we were no longer over land, but over the water.  Losing the 500m mountain makes for a big drop into that lake. Helmets will definitely save us!

The landing went well, and I nearly kissed the ground! I had such a rush of endorphins! I glanced back to see that Andrew and his guide had landed about 15 feet behind me and I couldn't wait to go give him a high five and celebrate! Once I got unhooked I spun around in time to see Andrew's guide unclipping himself from a heap of Andrew on the ground. Poor sap was vomiting.

So, I gave myself a high five (awkward overhead clap) and then went to soothe my poor baby. Who has time for kids with this guy?

Poor little Andy. He was having a great time until witnessing my 'death spiral' and he lost his sense of balance. He went to the lake to clean himself up and I buried the evidence. I gave myself another overhead clap and away we went.

 Paragliding was awesome! I highly recommend it. Apparently I can handle being one mile high with only a parachute to save me from death, but I can't handle rough water. Andrew, quite the opposite.

All in all, we both still had a great time and can't wait for the opportunity again. Next time Andrew will go first.









No comments:

Post a Comment