Sunday 29 January 2012

Rainy day Sunday!

 Hello everyone! Greetings from wet wet Belize. When it rains, it rains!

We Andrew found an image re-sizing program so we can add photos much easier now. Not all of our followers are on Facebook, so there is some catching up to be done!

Us whiter than white folk left Edmonton at an ungodly hour carrying nothing but our backpacks full of clothing hope.




We arrived in San Ignacio, Belize to the very warm welcome of Peter and Cindy, and dog Chloe. Their other dog Tootsie was waiting at home working in her capacity as guard dog. Peter and Cindy live in the bush somewhere in Nova Scotia and winter in beautiful Belize. We are renting the suite above their home.



The place is certainly rustic, and while small, certainly is all the room we need (right, Honey?). You get what you pay for, people! We're getting used to boiling water to wash dishes, but it took a few days, for sure.

Peter and Cindy have been great to us. If they are going places they offer us a ride, or ask us to join them. We have been able to go tubing on the Mopan River, and also to swim where the Macal River and Mopan River meet. We forgot to grab the camera for Macal, but here are photos from a walk, and from tubing in the river.









There's a video of me tubing but I lost my bikini top so you no see no video.



San Ignacio is nestled near the border of Guatemala, which will be our next stop in our travels. The population here is a wonderful mix of Guatemalans, Belizeans, Chinese, and Indian, with the dominant language being English. This is certainly not the place to learn Spanish. That will have to be done in Guatemala.

The Saturday market is wicked good! Most everything is $1/lb, and bananas are 10 for $1. Good thing we only have a wee little fridge or I'd buy out the place. There is food, clothing, and housewares as far as the eye can see.



Can you spot the redhead?


 And Dad, look what you can rent here!


I have no doubt you'll be on the next flight! It's quick and cheap from Texas! 

Here is today's botany lesson: Note the difference between the two plants.



Can you tell which plant is aloe? It's #1. I thought it was #2. Rubbing the juice from plant #2 on my fresh sunburn caused me to take my first trip to the doctor. His name is Julio. I'll be seeing him again tomorrow because I have some weird bug bite on my finger that is taking over my hand. 



We haven't seen too many places in our 2.5 weeks here as we've been on foot. After seeing the 'chicken buses' and realizing that we wouldn't be able to see the places we want to see we have decided to buy a vehicle. That will allow us the freedom we want and need. Hopefully we can get that done next week.




So friends, I have run out of things to show you. I could go on about the price of drinks and food, and how beautiful the weather is, but that would be rude. I'll just part with a lovely photo of my beloved and I, out on a date last night. I'm sure you'll notice we're wearing our Saturday night best (shirts with collars!).



Goodbye friends!


1 comment:

  1. I've tried to make commenting easier for everyone, because we would like to hear from you all as well!

    Please let me know if you are still having trouble!

    ReplyDelete